Twisted Gum Chardonnay 2011 - QWine Reviews

Home Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Twisted Gum Chardonnay 2011

This is my first look at Twisted Gum, a small winery from the Granite Belt situated 900 metres above sea level. All fruit is dry grown and hand picked. Only 1150 bottles of this Chardonnay were produced.

Being an unwooded Chardonnay I was expecting fresh aromas first up. Instead I was fed a good whiff of nutty type aromas which I didn't mind.

A good refreshing drop. Just simple easy drinking without the bells and whistles Chardonnay purists may be looking for. There are green melon and white peach highlights, but the fruit hits the wall and doesn't flow through. It's all front and mid palate focused, a victim of a wet vintage. But easy drinking wines like this are popular with the punters nonetheless.

On the weekend I popped into Stanthorpe's Apple and Grape festival. One thing I noted was the sheer number of Twisted Gum Chardonnay bottles on the tables and in bags carried around. This is a ringing endorsement particularly as those attending had at least 12 local wine stands to choose from. An ideal setting for an easy drinking drop in the sun listening to live music and catching up with friends.

Available online and at the cellar door.

Who: Twisted Gum Wines
What: Chardonnay (12.2% alc)
Where: Granite Belt
When: 2011
How: $20

www.twistedgum.com.au

Follow me @Qwine