Margan Shiraz Mourvedre 2014 - QWine Reviews

Home Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Margan Shiraz Mourvedre 2014

I was intrigued by this blend from the outset on a number of levels. I made a Shiraz Mataro blend myself in 2014, affectionately known as Shitaro to a few, from separate parcels of Granite Belt fruit. Mike Bennie gave it 91 points - I was rapt.

But this Margan wine from the Hunter Valley is better than that. And it's a field blend. Yes a field blend! I was curious to learn the vineyard is inter-planted with the two varieties. Obviously vintage conditions need to be in favour for this to come off, and in 2014, it did with a bang!

A whiff reveals a tad of smoke, dark fruits and dusting of black pepper. Those dark fruits are deep rooted but there's a red berry edge. An attractive spice rolls through and just hangs. Medium bodied, so moreish and ever so delish. There's a brightness to the acid - aging won't be an issue. Nor will emptying the bottle as I can see from Exhibit A in front of me as I pen these notes.

Will cellar for ten years easy.

Very good+

Region: Hunter Valley
RRP: $40
Source: Sample

www.margan.com.au

Subscribe to Qwine here

Follow me: Twitter Qwine Instagram _Qwine